Walking & Hillclimbing in Sligo and Surrounding Areas
There is a plethora of walking paths to choose from, from short 20 minute walks to long ambles in the countryside to the more adventurous hill climbing expeditions. Located right beside Rowanville Lodge is Benbulben Mountain, 565 metres height. It is a wonderful hill walk and we provide maps and details to help you reach the summit. It is known as tabletop mountain and it takes minimum 3 to 4 hours to walk the entire length. I have done this many times and one can spend a few days reaching the different summits and directions you can take.
Other recommended walking routes include:
- Streedagh strand , Streedagh Coastal Trail, 5km duration 1.5 2 hours
- Benbulben Mountain a minumum of 2 hours but I like to take 4 to 5 hours.
- The Head Peninsula of Mullaghmore, Mullaghamore Head Coastal Trail 8km
- Devils Chimmney at Glencar Lake and Waterfall
- Dooney Rock and Lough Gill lake
- Gleniff Horseshoe and Truskmor Mountain
- Lissadell Woods, park beside the beach and follow the path through the woodlands catching glimpses of the bay through the trees.
Surrounded by the Dartry Range , there are ample choices for hill climbing. We can advise you of the best routes to choose to get up close and personal with Benbulben without trespassing on farmer’s land. It is advisable to set aside a day for such excursions. A close eye should be kept on weather conditions. We do not advise hill walking after very heavy periods of rain as the land can be treacherously boggy.
We provide maps and and information here at our BedandBreakfast in Sligo.
Walking route information especially for the longer trails is available from NorthWest Tourism Customer Services department, or talk to the Bord Fáilte in Sligo.
Further information: Bord Fáilte, Sligo. Tel 071 91 56666
Requirements: Suitable Footwear I.e. Boots, trail shoes, avoid runners or trainers
Waterproof Jacket/over -trousers; Suitable warm clothing, avoid wearing jeans; Hat & Gloves, Camera & Binoculars.